Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hopes and weakness

The house was messier than I remembered it being. The lights were dimmer than I remembered and the tile floor was clouded. Small streams of light beamed through slits in the blinds like cracks in a wall. It was as though he were reworking the place to resemble a modern cave.
On the living room table were scraps of metal spread around and containing some form of order, like a beast dissected and observed. Paper had been laid beneath each pile and tools sat nearby prepared to work. My father moved around touching this and that as though he were tidying up but only coming across as though he suffered from a compulsive disorder.
The shirt he wore hung baggy on him. I’d always pictured him being more fit. It dawned on me that perhaps I’d taken his age for granted. Something about it all didn’t feel like dementia and something began to scratch at the back of my mind.
“Sorry I’ve had nothing to do lately so I’ve worked on,” He continued to touch and move things. He was striving for some optimal global orientation, “projects.”
I looked around and folded my arms, “So what’s the problem.”
“Catherine…” The word was a hiss. It took me a few moments to recall that this was the name for his girlfriend, the mediator and polite socialite. His eyes turned back on me and the hairs on my neck began to rise. “You didn’t bring the girl with you.”
“Didn’t figure she needed to be here.” While mostly true, I hadn’t wanted to ask Rebecca along fearing that I might worsen our already tenuous relationship.
“Good.” He mumbled, “I’ve had a realization. One of those epiphanies.” This was the most talkative he’d been with me in years. Something inside me smiled at the thought of us conversing while the itching in my brain continued to nag at me. My arms unfolded and I sat on one of the chairs while he organized his thoughts. “Nothing matters.” He finally said.
While the idea was a little broad I began to think that perhaps he’d had a change of heart. Maybe something happened to change his mind about the whole thing.
“No one matters.”
This could be the beginning to repairing our relationship. I was skipping ahead of the whole process a bit quickly but a moment required seizing while ripe.
“It’s down to you and me.”
He was doing it. Realizing the true value he held in his son.
“Really you’re all that I have left.”
My heart swelled and the infernal grating in my brain screamed alarm.
His eyes turned up to me and everything I’d built up in the last few moments came crashing down.
The eyes were filled with madness. They glared wide, encased in a glassy layer, straight through me. All of my bravado and courage that I had collected in the car turned to ash. I felt the same as I had in the bird woman’s house. I was ten again and in terrible fear of the man before me.
“Catherine is wicked Sidney. She tricks and manipulates me into being someone I’m not.” I couldn’t understand that statement. He’d been the same person the whole relationship. “We are knights, Sidney. In service to God. For our works we will be rewarded with all that we please.” He paused to watch me. I was frozen and helpless. “What are we son?” he whispered.
My throat was dry but I managed a squeaking voice, “Knights.”
“What are we?” He asked again.
I had to swallow before speaking again, “Knights.”
“What are we?” He yelled.
A tremble worked its way into my body, “Knights.”
He began to bellow again but the voice that came out made my blood go cold. “What are we?”
“Knights.” I wanted to cry as I had when I was young but afraid that he would grow angry.
“That’s right.” An insane smile taking his face, “You can have anything you want as long as we are together working against it all.” He stopped for a moment to think of a way to convince me. “You like that girl you’re with?”
I made a tiny sound.
He clapped his hands and sent my heart racing. “You can have all the black, brown or blue girls you want.”
What small scrap of me that was left screamed from within my skull, “What the fuck is going on?” That small piece started working on an escape plan while trying to understand what drove him to this.
“Son, you know that Moses spoke to a burning bush to speak to God.”
I made a tiny sound.
“Cannabis.”
My inner self perked up at this and thought to remember everyone who’d gotten high near me. None had acted this delusional or fanatical.
“Science has given us many new ways to speak to him.”
Instead of a sound, I gathered a little strength to ask him a question, “How long?”
He looked at me sideways like an animal would when studying something strange and intriguing. “Only recently.”
I wondered if he meant since I’d last seen him or in relation to how long he’d been on this planet. All I knew was that I had to get out.
“I’ve spent the last few days toying with Catherine, trying to get her to break. She’s crafty and wicked.” He laughed loudly and suddenly. “You should see how she reacts, as though I’m the crazy one.” His face went dark as quickly and violently as the laugh had come, “Just like my father.” He snapped from it and looked dead at me, “But we will fight it because we are…”
“Knights.” I squeaked.
“What are we?”
“Knights.” My voice wavered.
He bellowed once more, “What are we?”
“Knights.” I’d never felt so weak and alone.
“That’s right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment